Wednesday, November 24, 2004

There's always money in the banana stand.

Well, a bone has finally been tossed in my direction: After exactly one month of unemployment I finally got actual contact from a company. It's for an Underwriting Assistant job downtown, at some massive company I've never heard of; but apparently they have offices in 20 countries so I guess that's something. I got the tip thanks to a person who shall remain nameless, but whose blog is much more widely read than mine, and whose groupies are much more rabid. Anyway, while shopping yesterday afternoon for bread, italian bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and hot sauce I got a message from some dude. So I called him back and he asked me the following four questions:

1. What is your employment situation?
2. What are some of your strengths?
3. What about your weaknesses?
4. How do you turn those weaknesses into strengths?

The conversation lasted six and a half minutes. Then he said he was going to talk to the hiring manager, asked if I possibly could interview next week, then said they'd get back to me shortly. So now it's 2 pm on Wednesday, and I've heard nothing. I think I didn't embarrass myself too much in the phone conversation, in fact I thought of myself as quite charming, but I was hoping I'd have heard something by now. Considering that this job is about exactly what I was doing in Madison, I figure I should at least have a chance to interview. If not, I guess I should be applying at McDonald's or something instead. We'll see.

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving, and we're getting up early to go to M's father's house in Milwaukee. She has to work til 1 am tonite. We'll probably have to be there til Saturday morning I think, then she has to work again. I'm cool with not being able to go home I guess, Thanksgiving was never that huge of a thing with my family, just the four of us and no fanfare. Though now my sister's boyfriend has integrated himself enough to be automatically included as well. But I would like to see old pals and good ol' NE wisconsin; I'll have to wait until Xmas-ish I suppose. M's extended family is pretty cool, all of her mom's relatives will be there, and they are pretty fun to hang out with, we'll inevitably end up in the downstairs bar. And I like her sister a lot too, it's just her father that i'm still not quite clicking with. It's understandably, obviously, and he's a hard person for anyone to click with in general I think, and I guess the more time I'm around the better it will be. But I'm really not looking forward to Friday when all the relatives are gone. i think actually that the family is actually planning on going to the mall. On Friday. I plan to stay home and watch college football, you know what happens to me when malls are involved.

No comments: