Friday, November 12, 2004

That's that, Mattress Man!

OK, OK, I know I'm not as funny as I think I am, you don't have to say anything.

Today M is working in the ER until 1 am, which means I'm home on a Friday night with nothing to do and no one to do it with. Out of a metropolitan population of about 9 million, I know exactly 3 people that I'm not sleeping with, all of whom were over on Wednesday at the little dinner party thing (and one of whom reads this blog - a shoutout - the salad was delicious!), which I did end up staying for. But tonight I just planned on reading ("The Autograph Man" - Zadie Smith), watching a movie (Punch Drunk Love, featuring the best non-action movie sound editing ever), and drinking a bit.

Last night we went to Mates of State, which was even better than I'd hoped. A cool space, no smoking, and a larger and more responsive crowd than I expected (but no "Starman" cover, oh well). We danced and got home after midnight. Today stayed in bed for a nice long while, worked out, ate, and have been alone since 2:30. Yesterday I took a walk on 57th st and stopped in 3 bookstores, buying the new Eggers short story collection at the one that I liked by far the best. Also bought two cans of Red Bull in anticipation that M would have trouble staying up past 10, but she found the taste too nauseating. So I just drank one, mixed with a half part vodka, with my frozen pizza dinner. This particular beverage reminds me of a time long past, the combination of alcohol and "energy" often left me, a rather quiet and shy individual, resembling what some might call a normal and well-rounded person, albeit one who likes to stay up until 3 am trying to find someone to make out with. Beer relay races, anyone?

No comments: