Sunday, July 25, 2004

Causing trouble on the South Beach

Yesterday, after I was leaving a movie theater, I decided to walk into a very nearby grocery store, since I was in close proximity.  My food reserves have been shrinking rapidly over the past few weeks, I am reluctant to buy anything because A: I'm moving soon, and B: I'm trying to save money.  Therefore, I've been on the all-carb diet.  Typical day:  Cheap, bagged cereal for breakfast, a swallow of orange juice directly from the jug to wash down daily vitamins, at work usually granola/cereal bar or two or some popcorn/rice cake in the morning, then a lunch of two sandwiches, usually pb&j, a yogurt, and an apple.  Some more snack in the afternoon, then dinner of pasta, lately with a salad of spinach leaves and croutons on the side.  Usually that's it, unless I'm hungry and have some popcorn or something at night.  I haven't bought meat, aside from sandwich meats, in a month or more.  Today my stomach protested loudly as I considered my options.

So, back to yesterday, in the grocery store, full of delicious foods of all kinds, and I walk directly past all of them into the liquor department.  This too is something I haven't bought much of late, just a couple bottles of wine, but I haven't bought any hard liquor in close to a year now.  So, I walk past the delicious deli chickens and fresh fruit and frozen pizzas and leave the store with vodka and bloody mary mix, telling myself that this 16 dollars could not be spent in a better way, arriving home to eat a dinner of tuna salad without bread, drinking two large alcohol beverages and telling myself that everything's going to be OK, it will be OK.

No comments: