Monday, July 19, 2004

behind closed doors and shower curtains

This weekend I went to Chicago, but not until saturday morning.  Then i picked up my girlfriend's keys at the front desk of her building, and waited in her apartment for her to come home from work.  Ate lunch, she napped and I was bored some more, and then walked around the neighborhood, dinner at a nice carribean place, and a dvd at home (big fish, it was good).  Yesterday was Navy Pier with the ferris wheel, and I didn't leave the city til after 9, so I got back pretty late, tired today and cafeteria cappucino made me queasy, so i left work at 415 and came home and did nothing.  I feel better, pot pies and wine for dinner seemed to do the trick.  I found out today at work that my name is being circulated for a job that's opening up, which usually requires a business degree and years of experience, neither of which I have.  It would be a huge opportunity, I'd get benefits and bonuses and my pay would go up at least 50%, and it'd open bigger doors later on down the line.
 
Unfortunately, if offered, I wouldn't be able to accept it.  It would mean staying in town for at least another couple years, and I don't think I'm going to be able to do that.  And I'm not sure of how much more of the insurance business i can really take, I'm sure it'd make me crazy in five years anyway.  I kind of debated all that in my head today, after I heard my boss was thinking about me for the job, and I guess I decided that the money and possible rewards down the line aren't worth spending another couple years working and being lonely the rest of the time.  I don't know if this is short-sighted on my part, or if I'm just compelled to sabotage my future in every way possible.  But this, if I would get offered the job, which I probably won't and all this thinking was for nothing, would be my first real opportunity, career-wise, after bouncing around aimlessly during and since college.  Turning my back on it would be the work of a crazy man.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fakest anonymous of all time - just don't feel like creating a login. Anyway, a certain long-term gf of a certain anonymous friend of yours thinks the insurance business RULES! She would take the job and then just leave when you want to - you aren't signing a long term contract or anything.

N. said...

Thanks for the tip, anonymous pal, but the job won't actually open up until late october, and by then I'll probably be halfway out the door.