Monday, August 23, 2004

Call me Maverick

The day is moving at a reasonable place, but I'm quite exhausted from the weekend. It was a good time, my car made the trip fine, I checked the transmission fluid level when I arrived (a feat that I'm quite proud of, by the way) and it hadn't lost any. The power steering sounds screechier than ever though. So the trip there took 3 hours and 20 minutes from work, and the last hour and a half was spent driving the last 30 miles. Stupid traffic. But then we had Thai take-out from the place a block over and it was delicious. Saturday we went to the museum of S & I again and saw an IMAX movie, and rode in a flight simulator together. THis was interesting, cuz it was more like a giant video game than anything educational, except we got strapped in this little box and could do actually barrel rolls and crash into mountains without consequence. My main goal was to make my girlfriend nausious, which failed, though I did cause my chapstick to fall out of my pocket and hit me on the head. And we could shoot things, too, but that was largely unsucessful. Entirely unsuccessful, actually. Then in the late afternoon we filmed somethings around the neighborhood/campus for the next years resident recruitment video, felt good to hold a camera again, but the best part was filming a crazy squirrel that ran up to us and danced. I doubt the University of Chicago is going to devote 90 seconds of it's recruitment video to a dancing squirrel, but it was too good to pass up. Then Sunday we went to Chicago's Chinatown, which was very interesting and much cooler and more authentic than i'd imagined. Lots of seafood, bakeries, and bootleg dvds. Catwoman for only 6 dollars, people!

Today I'm going to leave work at a more reasonable time than usual, go home and take it easy. I'll have time to eat a decent dinner for a change, which is important since I'm wasting away as we speak.

More to come...

No comments: