Friday, September 14, 2007

Post about Eyeballs

On Monday night I stayed up kind of late, like 12:20 or so, while listening to music on my big old falling apart headphones and reading a magazine on the futon and sipping cheap booze. It was one of those nights where I wasn't too tired but knew I had to get to bed since I had to work in the morning. So I turned off all the lights and began my nightly bathroom routine, which consists of taking out contacts, brushing teeth, etc. I forgot to plug the sink, and when I popped out my first contact (I wear the small hard ones) it flew errantly past my waiting hand, landed on its tiny side on the porcelin, and gracefully made an arcing roll into the open drain. But, alas, all was not lost, as the contact was still visible, stuck on the side of the drain hole! I couldn't pull out the drain stop thing, so I grabed a Qtip and tried to guide the lens back out with the precision of a brain surgeon. Well, that didn't work at all, as I just pushed the lens completely down the drain. I thought about cracking open the pipe under the sink, but our largest wrench is about four times too small.

So, first lost contact in six or seven years. The next day I dug out my old pair from five years ago, which were dry and brittle in their case. So since then I've been wearing one contact in my right eye that is five years old, and one contact in my left eye that is two years old. Needless to say, while my daily life isn't too affected it seems to be a challenge to stare at a computer screen. Which I've been doing for eight hours a day the last four days. I had a headache all of Tuesday, snuck out of work early to go to the eye doctor. Brand new pair should hopefully arrive tomorrow or Monday. I've decided to get new glasses as well, since I can't even read or watch TV in my old ones any more. I am blind!

Because of the whole 'it is annoying to stare at a computer screen' thing, I've had a good excuse to not do too much work this week. Or do any writing, obviously.

No comments: