Monday, March 21, 2005

Live Look-In

Last weekend, thursday through sunday, was the greatest sports weekend of the entire year. I heart March Madness, and, despite ruining chance at winning any office pools (damn you wake and oklahoma!), watching college basketball was the highlight of my week. Work on Thursday and Friday afternoons was badly handicapped by me checking the realtime scores and stats on the web. (Also, Friday afternoon was made more non-productive by the all-you-can-eat Indian food buffet I went to for lunch. Note to everyone: All you can eat Indian food is not simply a meal, it is an excuse for doing nothing for the next 12 hours.) However, despite all the sqeaky sneaker bliss in the air, where did I find myself on Saturday afternoon?

At IKEA, of course. Sure, UW-Milwaukee was becoming the darlings of the media, with their second upset in as many games, but I didn't get to see it, because I was helping decide if we should get a new duvet cover (we did). What? Utah beat Oklahoma? Well, I missed that, I was busy fighting stand-still traffic to the far far far suburbs and then getting lost and then walking in a circle around a swedish furniture store for hours. Sure, I missed out on a solid 5 hours of the best basketball in a year, but I ended up with six new white wine glasses, two beer glasses (one of which I immediately tried out upon getting home), an on-the-stove expresso maker, and the aforementioned duvet cover, which at least is a manly forest green color. The rest of the weekend was a blur of basketball, snacks, beer, guests from Madison, Thai food, laundry, Morrocan beef stew, Arrested Development (the best show on TV), weekly chat with parents, and then going to bed and not sleeping the entire night. Maybe it was the dread of coming to work today, or maybe the fear of a day without basketball, or maybe the lingering effects of the double expresso consumed before noon. Or maybe, just maybe, it was the new duvet cover, which will forever serve as a plush reminder of how I've become a massive tool.

No comments: