Monday, August 07, 2006

Sweet Liberation Has Come

I'm all rocked out for a few days. Skipping Wolf Parade tonight (and last night) because I can't take any more rock. Plus, expectations for said rock are at an all time high. Friday was my lollapalooza day, $73 dollars got me three bands' full sets. The Editors, who were pretty good (though note to lead singer: Ian Curtis called, he wants his DNA back). Mates of State, who I've now seen an all-time record ELEVEN times, were solid as always, though it was strange seeing them with the lolla crowd, there was a dude in front of me who only knew songs from their last album, and he was fucking doing the robot the whole show (while elbowing me every fourth beat). And of course Sleater-Kinney, who started off a little slow but soon gathered much momentum. As you can see from the setlist, they concentrated on 'The Woods', which actually worked in their favor in the setting. Carrie Brownstein has turned into an amazing guitar player, and the last three songs left me breathless. There is a feeling I get when I'm at a concert sometimes, when the band just fucking hits that chord change perfectly or harmonizes or something I can't explain, but it can give me chills and raise my heartrate like a drug I haven't taken enough of. I got it then, possibly for the first time in a festival setting.

Then I of course had to take a break from the rock, went to Milwaukee for M's Dad's wedding, which, if you haven't heard the background info, was set to be a fucking crazy disaster. Well, mysteriously, everything went perfectly, and everyone was surprisingly well-behaved. I looked smashing in a rented tuxedo as always. After the early Sunday wedding, saw crossword puzzle doc 'Wordplay' and headed downtown for Sonic Youth concert. Got there a little early, found a good spot in the fifth row of the Pabst Theater, another great place to see a concert. We were about fifteen feet from the stage, and the slanted floor gave me the best view for a concert that I've probably ever seen in a venue that holds more than fifty people. The Go! Team opened, and were pretty good. And then I could finally cross off another all-time favorite band that I've never seen live before. Who is left? Pavement, if they reunite, I guess. Flaming Lips. Stereolab. Uh, Neutral Milk Hotel (I heard a rumor that something is going to happen). I can't think of anyone else that wouldn't involve a time machine.

Sonic Youth didn't let me down. Concentrated on the new album 'Rather Ripped,' which didn't bother me at all (may end up as album of the year), gave me at least a half dozen of those magic moments. The sound was perfect, the band was amazing, and seeing them live (finally) has sealed their place in my all-time best list, and nearly made me completely lose memory of S-K two days prior. I'm not sure how they can still do this after so many years, but they fucking did it.

Setlist:
Schizophrenia
Reena
Incinerate
What A Waste
Mote + noise jam
Do you Believe In Rapture?
Kool Thing
Sleepin Around
Rats
Jams Run Free
Pink Steam
Or
----
Turquoise Boy
100%
-----
Lights Out
Shaking Hell

They are on Conan Wednesday night, by the way. And if you somehow have a bad taste in your mouth from the band, perhaps because your roommate played them too much in college, I suggest you give them another chance. They are also at the Minnesota State Fair in a couple weeks with the Flaming Lips.

EDIT: Their performance on Conan was horrible, due to sound issues.

No comments: