Saturday, August 19, 2006

On the Rocks

My long blogging absence can be explained, I swear. Here are the top three reasons:

1. Nothing much going on.
2. Been reading at least 2 hours a night the last couple weeks.
3. Week of sobriety.*

*A note about #3. The fact that I recently completed a week (that is seven full days and nights, or 168 hours) of self-enforced non-drinking of alcohol does not mean that I a) have a 'drinking problem' or, even worse b) must be under the influence in order to accomplish a task as simple as 'blogging.' However, the fact is that often when I sit at this computer and the end of the day, as in, at night, and feel inspired to type up a few paragraphs of nonsense, I often DO have a sweaty glass filled with some sort of alcoholic beverage sitting on the coaster on my desk. The Week of Sobriety (hereafter WoS) was brought on by a week or two of heavily than usual drinking, which was most likely not brought on by anything in particular other than boredom or possibly bad times at work. And the drinking might not have been overly heavy, in retrospect, but possibly only seemed that way due to the fact that I finished off 3 or so bottles of alcohol (finished, not started and then finished, but more like drinking the last few ounces) in the span of a day or two. Without much left in the liquor cabinet, I found myself asking a question that was immediately deemed as troubling, and prompted a short, very short, period of self-reflection, a conversation with myself, if you will, at the end of which the conclusion was reached to not have any alcohol for a complete week, last saturday until the end of yesterday, in order to cleanse both my mind and body, and because that is something I doubt I've done in a couple years or so. So I turned down beers and wine (both of which have been in our fridge the whole time) and drinks, ordered Coke at a bar, had a couple glasses of water with pizza. Not that big of deal, I was rarely tempted, except when I made a frozen pizza on Thursday night.

The question that brought everything on was "I wonder what vermouth tastes like by itself?"

The answer is 'sort of like white wine,' but that isn't important.

No comments: