Thursday, August 03, 2006

All Hands on the Bad One

I've been wrestling with an internal crisis all day today, if not all week. (But, you say, isn't this your eighteenth internal crisis this week? Yes, yes it is) It breaks down as follows:

Question: Should I spend $65 to buy a one day pass to Lollapalooza on Friday? (I'm out of town Saturday and Sunday (but I'm happily going to see Sonic Youth in Milwaukee on Sunday Night, FYI)).

Pros:
Sleater-Kinney, Sleater-Kinney, and Sleater-Kinney. If you would have asked me yesterday, or any of the 12 or so days before, I would tell you that I'm not going to go to Lolla this year. Friday's lineup isn't that great: Mates of State (who rule but I've seen them 10 times already), Death Cab (who I vow never to see again live unless a girl drags me), the Raconteurs (who might be good live but unfortunately are playing right before and on the other end of the festival (which is about a mile long), meaning I'd only have time for a few songs, if any, before I went to get a good spot for S-K. There are a couple other bands here and there, but mainly, this is all about one.

Cons:
Like I said, only one show that I'm looking forward to. The chance to see one of the truly great bands of my lifetime a week before they break up possibly forever. Yes, I know that sounds like some sort of grandiose statement which may only cause scoffing and eye-rolling, but if you've listened to the albums and seen them play live, I'm not sure how you could possibly argue. However, this show is at fucking Lollapalooza. Which means: A 50-55 minute set, a crowd that is filled mostly with people who aren't huge fans, and therefore won't respond to the band or dance or whatever, a band that has to play most if not all of their set in daylight (its from 730-830) who is only there to collect a paycheck. Pretty much every time I've seen a band I've loved in that environment, as with Spoon last Sunday, I feel like the show would've been so much better in a different setting. So, I'm afraid that seeing S-K go out like this would leave me with a bad taste in my mouth.

Pros:
I read some reviews of yesterday's S-K show in New York. Read this. "And really, one of the best rock shows of all time." Really? And that's coming from someone who doesn't like to throw around superlatives like candy. I've only seen them once, in 2000 at a tiny place called the Annex in Madison (for, like, $10), with a then-unknown band called the White Stripes opening up. By the end of that show my knees were so sore (I'd had surgery five months prior, and been on crutches as recently as three weeks earlier) that I could barely walk home. So much jumping, so much dancing with cute sweaty lesbians! I'm relatively sure that a short set at a massive outdoor festival is not going to hold a candle, but what if it's 50% as awesome? That'd still be pretty awesome. And I'd give all the money in my wallet (currently $14) and the rest of the hearing in my left ear in order to hear the opening to 'The Fox' live right now.

So, I've been going back and forth on this all day. Please give me your opinions.

1 comment:

JM said...

I say go for it. The S-K show I saw last fall was awesome -- it would only have been improved by not giving me 2 days of headache and semi-deafness, which an outdoor environment would probably help with. Also, I would like to travel back in time and go to that show at the Annex.