Tuesday, June 21, 2005

My Morning Routine

First I hit my yahoo page, which contains news from politics to sports to entertainment to my email, then it's my sparingly updating friends, including N-dawg, C-Mac, the Dave, and especially my chi-town crew. Then it's pitchfork, salon (you have to watch a 'web-mercial' but it's worth it, especially the 'war room', 'fix', sports daily, and anything written by heather havrilesky, one of the best SFFWs around), and McSweeney's. Check for anything new on ESPN (page 2 especially) and Roger Ebert. Get nerdy entertainment news from defamer, TVgasm, and Ain't it cool news. Check chicagoist for local happenings. Good blogs include fluxblog, stereogum, whatevs, TMFTML, rabbit blog (h. havrilesky again), and fittedsweats. All these and maybe a few detours and suddenly it's 10 am and the day is off to a great start.

13 days ago I said, boldly, "Spurs in six"......

3 comments:

Unknown said...

against my wishes, pistons in 7

the pistons whine and complain for their one-sided account so much, i think they were just hired by fox news

Unknown said...

also, wtf is up with roger ebert? 3 stars to the longest yard? 3 stars to the day after tomorrow? fever pitch..thumbs up? (yeah i know its based on a book by nick hornsby, still...its a piece of shit) i mean, these reviews just make no sense, he quotes the dialougue like its some piece of great writing or fresh material...its crap, why doesn't he see this?

i dunno, lost some credibility in my eyes.

N. said...

Did you actually read the 'longest yard' review? He basically spends the whole thing feeling guilty about giving it a 'thumbs up' on TV, so is giving it three stars to punish himself. Kind of interesting, actually. But, yeah, he has had more missteps than usual in recent years, but has never been perfect (Rushmore 2.5 stars!!??). Overall, though, I can't think of any critic I agree with more often, plus his reviews and essays are usually very well-written.