Saturday, June 04, 2005

Come on! Feel the Illinoise!

thunder lightning strike and it's a baseball-colored sky saturday that proves to be the day I finally break out the shorts, exposing knee scars and nearly enough leg hair to be called 'wookie-like.' Mr Popular declined an invitation to a party tonight to attend another, in honor of the birthday of one of my fav local bloggers. In the meantime have been wasting the entire day putting obscure new music on my ipod, reading A Fortress of Solitude (which is supposed to be due back at the library today, but I just started it and I don't want to take it back, though it'll take me a while to finish), taking pointless walks around rainshowers, and vacuuming the apartment (not my idea).

Other weekly 'highlights' include fruitless shopping for new sneakers, suffering through a university drama club production of Sophocles' Electra (which didn't have anything at all to do with the movie starring Ms. Jennifer Garner). In another week I'll be in New York, which hopefully will be great. So if anyone lives in New York you're welcome to let me know some city secrets. I'm pissed I was too late to get Conan tickets. As i mentioned before, my absence from this city means that all my favorite bands can sneak in and play shows (Spoon, S. Malkmus, Sleater-Kinney, and Ted Leo, all in a week!) but hopefully they'll make it up to me someday. I'll see Spoon at Lolla, anyway, during the rock-filled month of 'Cool-ly'. (, that's never gonna stick)

Oh, SLGTM last week was awesome, full six-piece band played all the songs I missed last time. I ended up going solo, which is not terribly unusual, but still felt a bit self-conscious standing directly in the front of the unfortunately small crowd, singing all the lyrics (even the ones from the 7"s and limited release EPs) and sort of dancing, all completely sober.

i can't complain about much else, save for the lack of meaningful nicknames among new national sports teams these days. I'm also ashamed to say that "Beauty and the Geek" is the best reality show I've ever been forced to watch. Are you a 'beauty' or a 'geek'? Like I even had to ask.

No comments: