Monday, April 09, 2007

We got Deserts, We got Trees, We got the Hills of Beverly

We're going to California on Saturday for vacation, driving from SF to SD in a hopefully satisfactory rental car. The weather is not going to be as nice as I had hoped; I picture CA, especially the southern half, as some sort of tropical paradise, so I was shocked to learn the avg temp for LA is only in the low to mid 70s, and for some reason SD is even cooler, despite the fact that it is further south. I'll probably go to the beach anyway.

Aside from the first two nights, no hotel reservations are being made and no events are firmly scheduled. We will be spontaneous and play it by ear. Most likely we'll take 3 days to drive from SF to LA, stopping at every chance we get.

Here's where you come in: since there will be a lot of time spent in a rental car, I am making some mix CD's. Last night I finished 'California #1,' which consists of both band/artists from the state and songs about it. I realized that I don't actually have a ton of music from the state. I downloaded some West Coast hiphop and that song from the beginning of the O.C., and had no trouble making a CD, but aside from Pavement and Deerhoof I don't have too much. East Coast rap is so much better!

I didn't save or printout the tracklist, but here's what I have from memory:
California - Phantom Planet (the OC song)
California Dreamin - The Mamas and the Papas
California Love - 2pac
Gin and Juice - Snoop Diggidy Doggy Dogg
Ain't Nothin but a G Thing - Dr. Dre
Going to California - Led Zeppelin
Some Weezer Song
A few pavement Songs
a deerhoof song
a grandaddy song
I get around - Beach Boys
Move to LA - Art Brut
Down South, Ten Hours, I-5 - All Girl Summer Fun Band
Expressway to Yr Skull - Sonic Youth (no idea if this song is about CA, but it is mentioned in the first line, plus it is a good album closer).

There were 5 or 6 other songs too, all really clever ones I'm sure, but I can't remember any at the moment.

Obviously I already have the obvious choices, but I'm going to make another CA themed CD and need some ideas. Death Cab is not allowed, this is for driving, after all. And whoever suggests 'Hotel California' is banned from the blog. So far all I have that isn't on the first CD is the Flying Burrito Bros. Oh, and the Minutemen, too, I just thought of that. I think I need some L.A. punk music but I'm actually not sure where to start there. Please leave your suggestions in the comments, along with any tips for things to do and places to go along the way.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

ins't Beck from LA

Anonymous said...

Californication- Red Hot Chili Peppers
"If you're going to San Francisco be sure to wear some flowers in your hair"
Folsom Prison Blues- Johnny Cash
California Girls- Beach Boys

Train is from San Fran and the runner up on the last American Idol was from LA. I am sure that you are into her music.

Unknown said...

i second folsom. my bro can play it on the guitar, it is impossible not to stomp or clap or hum along.

N. said...

Yeah, Beck, I actually have him on the first CD already, I had forgotten about that one.

Folsom Prison is a good idea, plus it'd be nice to have a non-scratchy vinyl version of it.

Laura M. Browning said...

okay, so i just shamelessly searched my iTunes using various californiac keywords to come up with this list:

Coming Into Los Angeles - Arlo Guthrie
L.A. County - Lyle Lovett
California (All the Way) - Luna
Fake Tales of San Francisco - Arctic Monkeys
California Stars - Billy Bragg & Wilco
Just Like California - Old 97's
L.A. - Elliott Smith
Ode to L.A. - The Raveonettes
Come Back from San Francisco - Magnetic Fields


I normally try to stay away from the typical touristy things when i'm on vacation, but i'm glad i didn't follow my own guidelines in san fran...

1. rent a bike, bike over the golden gate bridge, and take a ferry back. we discovered the best espresso i've had stateside at a little cafe there amongst the tourist traps.

2. alcatraz. oh my god is it ever cool.

MC said...

California Waiting - Kings of Leon
Los Angeles is Burning - Bad Religion
California Sun - The Ramones
Route 66 - The Rolling Stones (or Chuck Berry, I suppose)

And, if you want, Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers. It has nothing to do with California except for the fact that the girl's name was Dani California.

JM said...

Not even the A3 version of Hotel California? Just kidding, that one sucks too.

You could always go for more loosely Californian themes -- hippies, plastic surgery, gold mining, Silicon Valley.

Or perhaps:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mL0GFSrgSgA

Unknown said...

los angeles - frank black (it's not the one in california but whatever)