Thursday, July 21, 2005

The Indie Sickness

Unlike certain friends of mine, I try to update my blog at least once a week.

I'm getting a bit nervous about my job, next week is going to be hell, due to everyone going on vacation at once. I'm supposed to step in and pick up the slack, despite not having any experience or knowledge regarding the job I'll be doing. I'd go into it in more detail, but I can only think of one regular reader who would understand anything I'd be writing about. My new/future supervisor seems like a major hardass, a big switch from my current boss (31 yr old hot chick who is a Pavement fan and occasionally, when the weather was cooler, wore some fantastic patent leather boots that distracted from her otherwise corporate-style facade.)

Last weekend was good. I stop short of saying it ruled. M and I attended the festival on saturday, arrived as the first act was starting. It was about 90 degrees; the type of weekend in which there were no lines for beer but loooooooong lines for water refills. Saturday AC Newman ruled, the Go! Team as well, Four Tet was ok. There was a great record fair going on at the same time (mostly vinyl) in which I somehow managed to avoid spending any money, mostly because I didn't want to carry around any used early Rolling Stones LPs for the rest of the day. We left partway through headliner Tortoise's set, completely exhausted, at 9:30 pm. It was ridiculous, my knees somehow get broken after standing in a crowd for an hour. We snacked on overpriced food, drank 3 beers between us, and only watched five bands up close, but it seemed like I had been in a 3-year tour of war duty. We took the el then bus home, and collapsed in a tangle.

The next day I went solo; woke up with a sneeze attack that never really stopped. Funny what 15,000 people stomping around a park filled with dead grass and dusty infields can do. Arrived around 4, saw great sets by andrew bird, deerhoof, the wrens, les savy fav, and the decemberists, and headed home. The last two were particularly awesome. Going to shows alone is nothing really new for me, but the festivally atmosphere of group comradarie made me feel extra alone. But music tends to make up for these things.

The next day I woke up after sleeping for only a couple hours. I decided to call in sick for the first time in about 3 years to any job. I compensated by doing laundry, running errands, buying food, cooking dinner, and reading the entire 6th Harry Potter book (a mild thumbs up, but it's no Goblet of Fire, y'all!!!) So another four day week for me, which pretty much rules, except I still have a nasty cough from this weekend (apparently a lot of festival attendees do) and am trying to learn a million things at once. This weekend is Lollapalooza, which will be similar except much more expensive, and then next week I'll be pushed into the fire at work, attempting to survive. We'll see what happens.

No comments: