Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Back and Forth

It's only Tuesday and I'm already excited for the weekend. Saturday and Sunday I'll be attending the Intonation Music Fest; listening to a bunch of bands so cool that even I haven't heard them, plus some I do know fairly well, like:The Decemberists, Tortoise, AC Newman (of best of 2004 fame), the Go! Team, Les Savy Fav, The Hold Steady, Four Tet, Broken Social Scene, Deerhoof, and Death From Above 1979. At only 15 bucks a day it's quite a deal.

I know you're thinking, man, is this dude paying paid to advertise? Well, no, but this dude would like to avoid attending solo on Sunday (which has the best lineup, btw) so is trying to encourage fellow chicagoans to attend. But not everyone. Since the crowd is going to be made up of rock solid hipsters and the like, anyone who decides to come along must be cool enough not to embarrass me. I have nightmares about someone asking, loudly: "So what is 'post-rock' exactly?" OH! THE EMBARRASSMENT!!!

Also, i'm sure the current 5 day work week is causing me to prematurely dream about the weekend. Also looking forward to celebratory all you can eat indian food at friday lunch, which will eliminate all possibility of me doing anything productive for the rest of the day. So a 4 and a half day work week, basically.

last weekend I saw my family again. God, two weeks in a row, who do they think they are? My sister had a couple job interviews in some north suburbs, so the entire gang came along and stopped by for a few hours on saturday. Sunday M and I went to the beach. I have great inhibitions about swimming in the foul cesspool that is Lake Michigan, but I did it anyway and so far have not shown any ill effects. There were lifeguards in rowboats in the water, and one yelled at me for going past him. At this I stood up in water which came below my chest. Apparently that's far enough, mister. There was only about 25 minutes of 'swimming,' otherwise I succeeded in getting various bodyparts sunburnt (tops of my feet again, argh!) and being bored. Later sunday we went to see a movie of my choice, Me and You and Everyone We Know, currently in limited release. Best movie I've seen all year, I think. But it's right up my alley, your taste may differ, and I respect that.

Ha, ha ha, just kidding.

1 comment:

JM said...

Despite not being a Chicagoan (or particularly cool), I had actually committed to going to Intonation with some C-U people, but eventually I remembered I have to go to Minnesota this weekend instead. So not fair!