Friday, January 28, 2005

Underachievers, Please Try Harder.

Today at work I did the following: 45 minutes of actual work on my own, 75 minutes of training, and then rest of the day was spent reading about my HR and benefit info online, and pretending to do actual work or study if someone important came by. In two more weeks I can re-enter the exciting world of health insurance, which I heard is nice. But the premiums seem a bit high, and it just seems like I'm getting ripped off unless I get hit by a truck. Somehow, I've also been told that my first semi-monthly paycheck has been mailed to me, which rules. I'm someone who will do just about anything for twenty dollars, and so getting a check for an amount considerably more than twenty dollars just seems surreal. Granted, last week was no picnic, but today's laziness was quite agreeable, I rebuked multiple insincere lunch invitations to eat tuna salad sandwiches at my desk (the trick about tuna, if you don't know, is to buy the cans that are generic or store brands, the cheapest ones. The tuna inside is in bigger chunks and with much less water, if you get Chicken of the Sea or something it always looks like a watery paste.) and then I took a walk outside and looked at the buildings and pretended I knew what I was doing and had somewhere to go important.

Everyone left between 30-60 minutes early, so I followed (but only 15 earlier than usual, I seem to arrive the first and leave last most other days). The short days are nice. Next week I have some meetings and new special projects, my supervisor is setting me up to fix all the problems and do everyone's job within our small department, my plan is just to take on as little responsibility as possible, and just do everything well. Repeat for years and years, and then there's an awesome retirement plan that I read about. That's a quality life, right there.

So now it's the weekend, so it's time to see what all the hype is about. There might be a dinner out, there could possibly be bowling.

No comments: