Monday, January 10, 2005

Speak only in the second person from now on.

Well, today was the second interview over at G.C. (giant company), much less nervous this time out, unlike last time when I arrived I could actually see the top of the building instead of clouds, and there were no flying gargoyles with menacing glares. After a bit of confusion (I was sent up directly to the 17th floor, and they didn't seem to know who I was or who I was interviewing with) I met with a woman named Kim, she was nice ( and a UW alumnus) and unlike last week's babble-fest, this time she did most of the talking. So that went very well, and then I got a tiny tour as I was walked over to another office to meet with one of the three who I'd met last week. This was Mary, the one who's name I didn't remember after last time (I blogged it as Anne, I don't know where that came from. It's Mary, stupid) despite the fact that she was the nicest to me. So we talked for another 15-20 minutes, this time I asked all the questions, she seemed satisfied that I was awesome, and gave me some pretty flattering compliments. She talked more about the job and the workplace, it all sounded great to me, and it sounded very very much like I practically had the job. I just went home after that, didn't meet up with HR guy at all, I expect to hear back no later than tomorrow I guess, though they didn't really say.

Except...

Well, when I was leaving, and shaking her hand, I might have called her the wrong name.

Now, I'm not sure about this. In fact, I could just be making it up. She didn't seem to react weirdly, or correct me, she just turned and walked away. It's just when I was on the train home, I was thinking about the interview, and how great it had went, and for some reason I had the name "Sarah" in my head. Not Mary, not even Anne. Where did Sarah come from??? I don't know. I don't want to know. But, then, later at home, I wondered if maybe I had said "Sarah" instead of "Mary" when I was leaving. Maybe she was so startled she didn't correct me, and rushed off thinking "If he can even remember my name, how can he do this fancy job?"

So, no matter what name I called her, if I don't get the job, I'll just assume it's because I called her the wrong name. If I do get the job, either I got it right or it didn't bother her. Maybe she thought, 'well, he can call me anything he likes', and licked her lips. I just assume that's what most women do.

No comments: