Thursday, February 16, 2006

Mexican Wolves are able to Hot-Wire a car in under 12 Seconds

Last week I was at a going-away party for a coworker who found a similar but much more lucrative job a few blocks away, drinking an uncountable amount of dollar beers and discovering the simple pleasures of miniature corn dogs. It was around ten, I was dreading my hourlong train/busride home and the slight hangover I'd sport the next workday. Seven people remained at this gathering (which had begun around five), including myself. We were sitting around a table, and seven people suddenly made three pairs plus myself. There were three very interesting conversations going on (I can only assume), none of which I could hear, despite being in the geographical center (verbal triangle?) of the action, due to crowded bar noise and half-deafness. I leaned over to each conversation, attempting to pick up a punchline or at least create the illusion that I was part of the conversation, but it didn't happen. This went on for roughly forty-five minutes, by my estimation. Well, maybe more like three minutes, but that was enough for me to drink my final beer and have painful recollections of my first week (or month?) of my freshman year of high school. Then I ran 80 blocks home.

That same day I had my annual review at work. Everything is satisfactory, apparently.

Last Friday I went to the vastly underrated U of C Pub, and had a terrific time before walking up three flights of stairs and watching SLGTM play for free on a shitty soundsystem. Different drummer, no girl singer, they say they're recording a new record in town, played all new songs but the last 3 of the set. Also bought their brand new compilation of non-album tracks, which kind of renders the 7"s and CDEPs I bought of theirs in the past kind of useless. Either way, great show as always, I'll probably see them again in April opening for Mates of State.

Life since then has been a blur of french restaurants, afternoon cooking expeditions, sore throats, laundry, grocery shopping, sentimental schmaltz, and the sweet, nearly-forgotten taste of a giiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin and tonic.

No comments: